Do you have an all women’s hunting club? Does it have a name? Somehow we’d bet your club isn’t named “Lady Ga-Ga-Ga.” But that’s just what Russia’s first all women hunting club has named theirs! Thus far the 100 member hunting club has only hunted for birds but they do hope to hunt for big game one of these days. Here’s our list of potential names for our future all women’s hunting club, what can you add?
hunting tagged posts
Recently while driving, I heard this story on NPR about the revival of the meat locker (read “communal walk-in freezer.”) Although the piece is centered on storage for buying meat in bulk directly from farmers and ranchers, it got me thinking. Could communal freezers be the answer for urban hunters and anglers?
Meat lockers were popular in the 1950s because of the cost of individual ice boxes. And now as a modern hunter and angler and city dweller, space for food storage in our house is an issue. Plus adding an additional freezer even if we had the space could prove costly due to the energy it takes to keep a second individual freezer cold. And as more and more of us live in cities the convenience of shared storage just makes sense.
Check out the Corning Meat Locker here in Corning, ...Read More
- Only 28% of hunters are fully prepared for the season.
- Most hunters agree that hunting is more than getting big game (76%); it’s an ethical thing to do (58%).
- Deer is the overwhelming favorite game to hunt (60%).
- Older hunters want to help with conservation this season and younger hunters want to learn new skills and set personal records.
- Almost half of all hunters follow a ritual or superstition for the best hunt including starting the hunt at exactly 4:48AM every time, kissing the first bullet, doing the anti-rain dance, or not shaving the entire season.
- Behind a firearm and ammunition, quality boots and camo gear are t...
Today’s recipe comes all the way from Montana! Whitney’s stepdad Nick has a passion for bird hunting… AND cooking! Combined these passions make quite a powerful combo come dinnertime. Here’s Nick’s recipe for pheasant tacos with fried bananas and black beans adapted from the pages of The Hunter’s Table.
For the tacos you will need:
3 TB olive oil
1 small white or yellow onion, minced
2 breasts pheasant, cut to small pieces
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Pinch of dried oregano
1 small jalapeño chili minced
1/4 cup salsa
1/2 cup water
Flour or corn tortillas
For the fried bananas and black beans:
1 ripe banana
1 15 oz can black beans with liquid
Once the ...Read More